Sarah homeschooling recipes family building our home

Thursday, December 16, 2010

25 days of cookies {Cookie 15}: Grasshopper Bars

These are good.  Really good.  They even look Christmasy with the minty layer and all.  I realize that I should have taken pictures as I went along, but I forgot.  Call it a "this is my 15th recipe in 15 days" slip.  I'm very sorry.  It's not a difficult recipe, but there are 3 layers and you have to let other layers cool before you add other layers.  But it is worth it.

Trust me.  These are worth making those 3 layers.


And with a cute little helper like this... (I told him to look serious).

I'd say you have to eat at least 2.

Grasshopper Bars (found in this cookbook)
4 squares (4 ounces) unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
1 cup butter softened
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup flour
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

Combine chocolate, butter, eggs, and vanilla.  Add flour and pecans.  Spread in 9x13 greased pan and bake at 350 for about 25-30 minutes or until center is set.  Cool brownies.

4 tablespoons butter softened
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp peppermint flavoring
4 drops green food coloring
2 tablespoons milk

Beat all the ingredients together, adding milk to make the mixture spreadable.  Spread on cooled brownie layer.  Put in refrigerator to set for one hour.

2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
6 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons vanilla

Melt on low in a saucepan.  Spread over cooled mint layer and let stand for one hour.  Makes 36 bars.  I just keep mine in the refrigerator because I think they are yummy this way, but whatever suits your fancy.

If any of this is confusing, let me know in the comments and I will clarify.  I am typing as Nathan is on top of his high chair tray waiting for me to get him.  Gotta run.


No comments: