Sarah homeschooling recipes family building our home

Monday, April 18, 2011

Embrace the Camera {Jopie and me}

I so loved Emily's recent post, that I have decided to try her Embrace the Camera.
What does this mean?  Read on.


In the olden days, when I had a camera with film (remember film?), I turned my film into Sam's Club and would go to pick it up 5 days later.  This is what I did until I got my first digital camera in 2005.  Anyway, I would get my pictures back and maybe 1 in about 100, there would be a glimpse of me.  Almost always, that 1/100 shot was not taken at my best moment.  Like this one Chris took.

[Cry Cry and me, Thanksgiving 2008]
Thanks Chris!

Or random.  Like this one.
I'm pretty sure that this particular set of PJ's did not come together.
(But how cute and sweet is Samuel right there?)

Or right after I gave birth when I'm all puffy.

These aren't really the kind of pictures you would want your grandkids to pull out and say, "THIS was my grandmother!"  We laugh about it, but the good photos of me and the kids are few and far between.  I have lots of Chris and the boys.  I'm the photographer in the family, so my natural instinct is to grab the camera and capture the moment.
But of course, I feel a little funny asking to be in the picture.  Don't you?
But I AM their mother.
I DID birth them.
I do spend ALL day long with them.
I deserve to get on the other side of the camera every so often, right?

So I'm going to Embrace the Camera.  This means I'll try to get myself in a pic every week or so and share it with you, and Lord willing, share with my grandkids, and my great grandkids.
Let's see how it goes.
Chris took this one the other night as we were shooting off rockets.
We were on soccer fields.  The lighting was just right.
Didn't he do a good job?
I love that he caught sweet Jopie with a natural face.  He so often does his "camera smile."

So come on, Embrace the Camera with me.
Even if you don't blog, get a good pic of yourself with your kids every so often!
Click on over to Emily's blog to find out how.

5 comments:

TJ Wilson said...

great idea, sarah - neat! and - love these pictures!

Summer said...

Good plan. It will be nice for our kids to see what I look like too!

Krista Sanders said...

Admiring you from here-- remind me to have the photo conversation with you I had today with the noisy girl over there. I think you are VERY brave-- and very genius.

Katherine said...

I'm in! I'm in! I'm in! According to most of our photos, our kids don't actually have a mother...so maybe it's time to jump in a few every once in a while. Thank you for this great idea...

nic said...

you are gorgeous! i am trying to embrace the other side of the camera, but mostly i hide out behind the lens. i suppose it's high time i don some bravery, though... :)