Sarah homeschooling recipes family building our home

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Potato Corn Chowder

I've been in a major soup rut for about, I don't know, maybe two years.  It's a significant rut.  I love soup because it's (mostly) healthy, and it's an inexpensive way to feed a family of growing boys.  My oldest LOVES potatoes, so potato soup is his favorite, but not everyone is crazy about plain old potato soup.  So I decided to try something different than our normal recipe and everyone loved it... a win for me!  
Let's call this soup Potato Corn Chowder.  It also has green chile sausage in it.  But Potato Corn Chowder with Green Chile Sausage sounds a bit cumbersome, don't you think?

Start with potatoes.  Chop them and put it in a pan with some onion.  I would do this in a non stick pan, mainly because I can't stand cleaning a pan with burnt potatoes on the bottom.

Throw some butter in and saute it for awhile until the butter is melted and the onions are translucent.

Then add enough water to cover the potatoes and cook/boil until the potatoes are tender.  This takes about 15-20 minutes.

It will look like this.  

\\This is the part where I stopped taking pictures.  I can't remember why.  Sorry about that.\\

But here's the rest.  Then you add about as much whole milk as you added water.  You can use half and half or cream if you want.  I just like it a little lighter.  Cook until the soup comes to an almost boil. You don't want to scald the milk. 

Then I added the following:
*1 pound of green chile pork sausage I found at Sprouts.
*Roasted corn from Trader Joes (in the freezer section already roasted and all you have to do is heat it up a bit in a pan.  Super easy!)
*Add salt (lots) and pepper to taste.

Top with grated cheese and enjoy!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

looks so good! I have a lot of potato recipes I should share with you then, because I too really like potatos!!

TJ Wilson said...

yum - will be on our menu soon! i always love eating from your kitchen.