Sarah homeschooling recipes family building our home

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

The Christmas Plan {Salty, Crafty, and Sweet}

I'm getting so excited for this Christmas.  We are taking this week off of school because of Thanksgiving.  For the remainder of our weeks until Christmas, I've decided we will only do school on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  Flexibility is one of the reasons why I love home schooling so much.  I have to remind myself of that when I hear the school bell ring.  Yes, I'm excited to take some days to do some fun activities with my kids.

Remember 25 Days of Cookies.
{Here is a tray of all the completed cookies, minus I few I forgot to save}


 It was great.  I'm glad I did it.  The boys loved every day of it.  They are asking about what we are doing this year.  I love that after only one year of doing something a tradition has been formed!  But I did want to vomit cookies or anything made with white flour, butter, and sugar after about day 15.  And although it was fun for the kids to make something every day, it wasn't very efficient, and I'm all about efficiency.  I could have made all those cookies in about 2 days of massive baking, and then cleaned up the mess, and called it a day.  Please go back and check out the things we made under the Food tab.

This year, thanks to the creation of Pinterest, we will be doing something a little different. 
On Mondays, we will make something salty and holiday-ish, yet kid friendly.
On Wednesdays, we will do a Christmas craft.
On Fridays, we will make a dessert of some kind... maybe a cake, maybe a pie, maybe a cookie...
whichever way the wind blows.


We hope to, once again, use these as gifts to neighbors, family, and friends.

{Graham about to deliver some cookies to a neighbor last year}

{Asher may or may not get to use the meat tenderizer this year}

{This will get licked more than once}

{And that cute face may bring something to your door}

Of course, I'll blog about the whole experience and let you know how it goes. 
I'll start on Monday.  I've purchased all the things I need for the crafts a couple of weeks ago.  I have lots of ideas of things floating around in my head of what I want to make.  I hope to solidify some things this weekend.  In the meantime, Happy Thanksgiving!

And Happy Birthday to me!  Sorry I couldn't resist.  Don't you hate it when people don't tell you it's their birthday?

See you Monday!



7 comments:

Korey said...

NEVER apologize for letting people know it is your bday. My bday is my favorite day of the year! I have a friend to wears a tiera on her bday each year and almost always scores a free drink at Starbucks because she tells them it is her bday and asks for a free one! I hope you are celebrated today!!! Happy Birthday

TaDa! Creations said...

Happy Birthday Sweet Sarah! I hope you have a wonderful day. I am really looking forward to seeing all the fun things you do with your boys this Christmas. I was thinking of doing your 15 days of cookies idea, but then you mentioned the word "vomit" and I thought better of it. ;) Love your new version too.

Laurie J said...

hope you had a good birthday! love your Christmas 'fun' plan this year :)
<3

BrookieB said...

Ooo...I LIKE this idea! Now I just need your plans in advance so we can join you!

Jen said...

Happy birthday Sarah!!! So great catching up with you the other day. Have a great Thanksgiving, and that picture of Joseph up there should be on the cover of "CUTE" magazine. Goodness!!! Love your plan for the Christmas season. :) :)

Melissa said...

Happy birthday Sarah! I love this Christmas cookie/boy photo feast. I even had to stop Clint and show him all the sweet kids. Hope it was a beautiful day! Thanks for writing...I look forward to seeing/reading what's been happening in your house.

Krista Sanders said...

No one is as excited as me to copy all of your crafts!!