Sarah homeschooling recipes family building our home

Sunday, June 4, 2017

A Year In Review

It's seriously ridiculous to try to sum up a year with just a few words and photos, but I'm going to try.  This blog lies neglected for many reasons.  First of all, there is just TOO MUCH going on and it makes it hard to know where to start.  Some of it is too personal for the internet.  Some of it is too boring for the internet.  Some of it feels too time-consuming to try to summarize.

I struggle with blogging because I don't really know who reads them anymore.  Seems like Instagram took over blogs about five years ago.  But I still like blogging better.  It's probably a generational thing.  I don't want just a few tidbits.  I want it in journal form.  Long, wordy, and full of pictures... more than just one "perfectly posed" one.

So I decided I will keep blogging as time permits.  For posterity...  but mostly for myself.  I like it.  So whoever is still out there... enjoy!

Because I can't back up and summarize an entire year, I'll give you one pictures from each month since I last updated.

August
First day of 7th and 9th.  This might be the only day these shirts were completely white so we had to document.  The other three are still homeschooling.  Having Graham and Asher gone most days made it a whole lot quieter around the house, and the little three developed a pretty special bond.

September
This one turned 8, and I'm super glad he still wanted a costume for his birthday.  He's always my baby, no matter how old.

October
Joseph is 10 and requested Red Lobster for his birthday dinner.  It wasn't his year to have a party, so he settled for all-you-can-eat cheddar biscuits.  

November
They clean up pretty nice.  I don't know what it's like to have a daughter, but I can say that I'm so proud of each of these boys turning into men.  I know everyone says it, but it happens overnight.  One day they are eating goldfish crackers and carrying around their toys in their chubby little hands, and the next they declare they are done playing with Legos.  When did it happen?  When did they stop playing and begin the entry into manhood... spending time researching camping equipment and colleges?  I don't remember.  I'm thankful for each season, but always feel like I could have used a little longer in every one (except for my OWN junior high years!)

December
Our "official" foster care license!  We spent a lot of the summer scanning every piece of paperwork that our family has (birth certificates, driving records, auto insurance, social security cards), running around town getting fingerprints, TB tests, doctors appointments, and attending classes.  Becoming a foster parent is not for the faint of heart.

January
So much fun skiing through Winter Storm Helena.  And thankful for time with my family.

January 25
Just after I had spent at least 45 minutes complaining to a friend that this foster care thing just probably wasn't going to happen, (because my faith is SO strong!) my phone rang while I was going through the McDonald's drive-thru to get an ice cream cone for the boys.  They had a three day old baby girl needing a home, and the rest is history.  We all spent most of this winter loving and nurturing her.  We didn't get much done.  Our house was probably messier than it's ever been.  I had to remind myself every night, as we fell into bed exhausted, that this is important.  Loving her is easy, but so many other parts of foster care are hard.

February
Well, lots of newborn snuggles.  The boys literally fighting over who got to hold her.  At this particular moment, Joseph won.

March
Grateful for Grandma and Grandpa who lovingly served us.  The boys always cry when you leave, which I think is the sweetest thing ever.

April
I'm starting to see pictures like this and realize that these years of all being together are coming to a close.  Graham will be driving this winter and it will change everything.  But for right now, I love all my people being all together and how much they love Sweet Sammies.

May
We finished school and headed to southeast New Mexico to explore two more National Parks.  They just NEVER disappoint.  I love seeing the boys in awe of things that they should be in awe over.  What God made is so creative and amazing and fun to explore.  

Now it's June, and I want time to creep by as slow as humanly possible because summer is my favorite.  
Summer forever.  Pool days forever.

8 comments:

Teresa said...

I'm so excited that you joined the foster care journey. I have a unique perspective. I've watched friends foster and hoped they would get to adopt. And in my work, I struggle alongside families who want to be united, I advocate for mother's who will never be "excellent" but can still love their children, and I want so badly for that reunification. Sometimes it is hard to maintain the perspective from both ends, but I have loved the journey and the lessons it has taught me!

triplatte said...

Sarah, I literally found your blog out of the blue two days ago, and it makes me love your family all-the-more. It reminds me of why God led me to homeschool and to make the moments count with them while I/we can. The time and ability to travel, explore, and just be a family without having to fit into anyone else's mold--I don't know how much longer we will do it (just finished our 4th year), but it's nice to know that someone else has faced some of the same struggles and questions along the way. We appreciate all of you. -wendy c

Unknown said...

I, for one, MISS your blogging! I have often think of you and your family...wondering (but really knowing) why you aren't writing. I love hearing updates about your family. I would love to hear more about your fostering!.

Laura said...

I don't even know how I came upon your blog (it was awhile ago) and I know you don't know me, but I just wanted to say how exciting and wonderful it is that you are fostering a child. We have been foster parents in two different states (and ended up adopting our four children!) and we are now finishing getting licensed again because we moved to a new state, yet again. But I love fostering, even though it can be such a challenge sometimes, and it makes me so happy to see other good families out there opening up their homes and hearts for as long as they are needed. I wish you the best on your journey as a foster family!!

Unknown said...

You know I am a faithful follower! I was so happy to see this pop up on my news feed :)

Michelle said...

Yay for a new blog post!!! Your boys are growing up so very much! I miss seeing you around! ❤️

Sarah said...

Instagram did replace blogging, but I'm like you! A lone holdout! :) I miss hearing from you and seeing pics of your sweet handsome good boys (I can just tell they are good :). I know it goes so fast after they reach a certain age doesn't it? It just flies and before you know you are moving them into dorms. I think of you often and say prayers for that sweet babe.

sara@augustfields said...

I agree about IG replacing blogging but I also feel like my heart is in blogging. As simple as mine may be! I love seeing your beautiful family grow up and what you think about this or that..... :)